Each year, the Ohio Communication Association (OCA) holds an annual conference the first weekend in October. Our goal is to provide a platform for students, faculty, and practitioners to present extant research and attend sessions to facilitate growth and development in the discipline. We ask that our host site is able to provide the items below, with assistance from our Conference Coordinator and Executive Director. OCA will cover the expenses of food, we hope we are able to reserve the rooms at no cost.
- Plan the Undergraduate Pre-Conference which is held on Friday morning at no cost to undergraduate students. The goal is to provide students with a professional development opportunity to prepare them for the workforce or graduate school.
- Host the November board meeting which is the first Friday in November. At this meeting, provide the board members with a tour of the campus to highlight where the conference will take place.
- Make arrangements with a local hotel close to campus for conference attendees with a guaranteed negotiated conference rate (about 40-50 rooms).
- Provide a space for the Awards Reception on Friday night (room for about 100 people). This space can be on your campus or at the conference center. We include a cash bar and light appetizers.
- Provide 3-4 classrooms for the various sessions, including the undergraduate pre-conference all day on Friday and Saturday until 5:00 p.m.
- Provide one room to hold our executive board meeting (16 members) on Friday from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Provide a space for registration, posters sessions, and the opportunity fair, preferably in a prime location for good foot traffic during the conference.
- Provide one large room for the business luncheon (approximately 125 people) and keynote speaker (approximately 125 people) on Saturday. These can be the same room or two different spaces. We include a full sit-down lunch which is generally catered by a local business.
- Provide the Undergraduate Conference Program and room numbers for all of the above to the Conference Coordinator by June of the conference year.
- Provide hotel information to the Communication Coordinator by June of the conference year.
Please complete the information below and OCA will be in contact with you to discuss the status of hosting the conference.
For more information, contact our Vice President, Tammy Bosley.